Child Custody Lawyer Upland CA
If you’re a parent getting divorced, one of your main goals is to ensure your child is happy and healthy. Working with an attorney who has helped other parents deal with child custody and child support issues is vital to get the best results for your child’s well-being. In California, a child can live with either parent, or both parents can share custody. But the judge makes the final decision about custody and parenting time. Most of the time, they will go along with the parenting plan that both parents agree on. The judge will decide at a court hearing if the parents can’t decide what to do. Most of the time, the judge will decide about custody and visitation once the parents have met with a Family Court Services mediator. Child Custody Lawyer Upland California USA A legal dispute with a family member can be complicated and emotional, especially if minor children are involved. If you are in a legal battle over child support , you need a child custody lawyer in Upland, CA that you can trust to represent you. The Law Office of Stephen Gassner, APC, can help you solve your child support case successfully and will work hard to give you the personalized, careful service you deserve.

Understanding Child Custody

Child custody is more than just deciding where your child will live. When more than one child is concerned, the same stipulations apply to children’s custody. A judge can give different orders about who cares for a child. The judge will determine who your child will live with based on whether your child would be better off with you, the other parent, or both. When making custody decisions about a child or children, the judge will also think about what is best for them.

It is crucial to understand the two types of child custody orders which apply to a child or children involved in the family.
Child Custody Lawyer Upland CA

Legal Custody

Legal custody finalizes who has the right and responsibility to make important parenting decisions about your child’s health, education, and welfare: you, the other parent, or both of you. There are two kinds of court orders for legal custody:

Sole Legal Custody

A sole child custody order gives you or the other parent full physical and legal custody of your child. If the court tells you that you will be the child’s primary custodial parent, you will have full legal and physical custody of the child. So, your child would live with you, and the other parent might be able to see the child if the judge thinks it’s in the child’s best interest. Also, you would be the only one who could make critical decisions for your child, like their education, health, and welfare.

Joint Legal Custody

Section 3002 of the California Family Code says that “joint custody” means that a child’s physical and legal care is shared. With joint custody, you and the other parent have an equal say in important decisions about your child’s health, education, and well-being. Your child will also live with you and the other parent, but the time with each of you may not be split evenly. This is because it is hard to divide time precisely in half when you have things like school and work to do.
Most of the time, courts prefer to give joint custody orders rather than sole custody so that you and the other parent can be involved in your child’s life and have an equal say. But it’s important to remember that if you and the other parent are given joint legal custody. For example, suppose you can’t agree on a common custody arrangement concerning the child’s health care, education, or welfare. In that case, you and the other parent must return to court and let the judge determine what is in your child’s best interests.
Child Custody Lawyer Upland CA
In some situations, the court may rule that neither you nor the other parent should share legal custody. Possible reasons could involve either parent being incarcerated, having a history of severe mental illness, or having a history of domestic violence.

Physical Custody

A physical custody order says where the child will live with one parent or the other. There are two different kinds of orders for physical custody:

Primary Physical Custody

If one parent has exclusive physical custody, the kid will reside with that parent and be monitored by that parent. The court may still issue a visitation order. Depending on who gets custody, your kid will live with either you or the other parent then the other parent will likely be granted “visitation privileges.”

Joint Physical Custody

This agreement means that each parent must have considerable periods of physical custody. The legal objective of joint physical custody is to ensure that your kid spends significant time with you and the other parent. Your kid will thus reside with you and the other parent. However, the time may not be equally divided due to factors such as school and employment.

Visitation Rights

There are different kinds of orders for visitation:

Visitation on a set schedule: If the other parent has visitation rights, this visitation order tells the other parent when and how long they can see your child.

Reasonable Visitation

This order lets visitation go on for as long as both parties agree. With this plan, you and the other parent can be flexible about when and when not to visit.

Visitation Under Supervision

If your child’s safety or health could be at risk, the parent with visitation rights may have to be watched while with the child. If the other parent has visitation rights, you, another adult, or a professional service can keep an eye on them.
Child Custody Lawyer Upland CA
Remember that when it comes to visitation orders for tough and complicated child custody cases, courts would instead give a specific visitation order with the days and times you and the other parent spend with your child to avoid ongoing litigation about what is “reasonable” visitation.

Modifying Your Child Custody Parenting Plan

You can still change parenting plans. But those plans are never set in stone.

A decision about who gets to raise a child is never final. Sometimes, the plans you made for child custody the first time around stop working. Most of the time, that’s because you, your child, or the other parent’s life has changed usually. Some child custody arrangements may also need to be changed if one parent violates the custody or visitation rights of the other parent.

California law considers that people’s lives change over time and that children grow up. Some changes that could lead to a petition being granted are:

  • Changes at the child’s school or in other things they do regularly
  • One parent gets a new job, which makes being a parent harder.
  • Using the military service
  • Proof that the home of the other parent is a dangerous place.
  • Accusations and proof of drug use, violence, neglect, criminal behavior, or sexual abuse.
  • The other parent won’t work with you when making decisions about your child’s health, medical treatment, education, and well-being.
  • One parent moves out of the area.
The Law Office of Stephen Gassner can help you with child custody disputes. We also help parents fight for their custody rights. Uncontested petitions to change custody are routinely granted and won’t require much time or work from you. But you may have to court if the other parent fights your request to change custody.

Emergency Temporary Jurisdiction

Child Custody Lawyer Upland CA

Even if your case is in another state or county and custody proceedings have already started there, a California court may take temporary custody of the child if:

  1. the child is in California;
  2. the child has been abandoned (left without the care or supervision the child needs); or
  3. the child needs to be protected in an emergency because the child, a sibling, or a parent is in danger.

This is important if there is an emergency and the child would be in danger if they returned to the other parent.

Emergency temporary jurisdiction in Case of Emergency can’t be based on unproven claims. Instead, the UCCJEA says that the court must hold a full and fair hearing on the issue of mistreatment or domestic abuse to assert jurisdiction.

If another court has already made a custody order, emergency jurisdiction only lasts for a short time. For example, the emergency order from the California court only stays in place until the other court issues an order within the time limit or the time limit runs out.

Most people don’t know the rules and guidelines for when temporary emergency jurisdiction can be used to get temporary custody to protect a child, so it is vital to hire a Los Angeles emergency temporary jurisdiction lawyer who knows what they are doing.

Learn More About: How Child Support – The Law Office of Stephen Gassner

Child Support

Requests to leave

Moving out of the area by a custodial or joint-custody parent is one child custody change that often upsets people. This can lead to a fight in court, especially if one parent thinks the other is trying to change custody or visitation plans. In California, if one parent wants to move out of state, the other parent must be able to show that the move is not in the child’s best interests. This could include proof that the other parent is moving to keep you from seeing your child or giving you custody. The move will also hurt the child’s schooling and relationships with his family or take him away from a loving and stable place to live. If the other parent doesn’t object to the move, but both parents want to change the custody plan, the parent who is moving must ask the court for a change. Most of the time, these requests are granted.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • In California, How Do I Get Full Custody of My Child?

    In California, a parent who wants full custody must show strong evidence. For example, to give full custody to one parent, the court needs a strong reason that is in the children’s best interest.
  • How far apart can parents live and still have 50/50 custody in California?

    Remember that “long-distance” co-parenting is defined as being more than 20 miles away in California.
  • What Makes a Father Unfit for Custody in California?

    A father would be unfit for custody in California if he has any history of physical abuse, drug use, domestic violence, or time spent in jail. Even though it is rare for a California judge to stop a parent from having any contact with their children, this can happen if there is enough evidence and proof, not just claims from the other parent.

Looking for A Child Custody Lawyer You Can Rely On Us

Getting a handle on child custody cases is very hard and complicated. You need an experienced child custody lawyer to help you through the legal process if you are fighting for custody of your child. The attorney from the Law Office of Stephen Gassner’s skilled child custody lawyers has the knowledge and experience you need to get the best outcome for your case. You can trust the attorney from the Law Office of Stephen Gassner because they have worked on child custody cases for many years.

Looking for a Family Law Attorney in California, USA? Look no further the Law Office of Stephen Gassner can help  you with different family law issues, including divorce, property division, paternity, child custody and support, spousal support, visitation rights, and property division including the complex division of business property. We serve Child Custody Lawyer in the following areas of California, USA.

Family Law in Chino Hills, CA
Family Law Claremont, CA
Family Law in Eastvale, CA
Family Law in Fontana, CA
Family Law in Ontario, CA
Family Law in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Family Law in Upland, CA

Need Child Custody Lawyer Legal Advice on Child Custody?

Or contact the Law Office of Stephen Gassner
At (909) 937-7000 Now!

Law Office of Stephen Gassner
324 N Mountain Ave, Upland, CA 91786, United States
(909) 937-7000